I have tried the Olympics sport of curling several times during a “Learn to Curl” class.
Each time I LOVED it! Why, you ask?
I’ve experienced the class in two different cities, in two different states, but the curling community was very similar at each venue. Here are a few reasons why I loved it and why I think that you should check it out too.
1. It’s an Olympic Sport that you can start later in life. Many curling Olympians started at an older age. If you develop your curling skills, you still might have a chance to make your Olympic dreams come true…or at least enter the Senior Olympics. There are also other levels of competition available for all ages if your passion for the sport grows.
2. You don’t need to bring any equipment when you take a “Learn to Curl” class but I highly recommend stretchy pants. Trust me on that one!
3. You can finally put those yoga lunges to use.
4.They allow drinks on the ice.
This is useful information in case anyone you are inviting is on the fence.
5. It’s social. The relaxed atmosphere reminds me of a friendly game of shuffleboard or bowling….. only it’s more aerobic.
6. You can make new friends or bring your friends. Either way you’ll have a good time.
7. The “Learn to Curl” intro classes are a really affordable way to give you a taste of what curling is like. They are usually $10-15 and help you learn the basics enough to enjoy your experience.
8. You can find out what the terms rock, front of the house, and hogged rock mean. You might even participate in a broomstack.
9. It’s a great way to mix up date night. Sometimes you just need to switch up the routine.
10. You burn calories. Unfortunately, you might drink as many calories on the ice as you burn, so you might just call it a draw. Either way, at least you were moving.
11. It’s probably the only time you will sweep for fun.
12. It’s a sport that you can enjoy for a long time.
13. It’s just FUN! Don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself.
You can find a curling club near you here.