I don’t typically spend a lot of time thinking about my hair, but my grown out roots and silver streaks could not be neglected any longer. When SIA Spa invited me to share a salon adventure with a giveaway winner, it was a no brainer.
I was joined by my giveaway winner, Lauren, who is already obviously gorgeous for a color/highlight, cut, blowout, makeup, and manicure. Both of us were not ready to part with our longer hair, but we still tried something new with AMAZING results thanks to our stylist, makeup artist, and manicurist.
I also learned something during the makeover process that I think will help you for your next visit to the salon. I learned that I don’t do a great job of communicating what I want when I go to the salon. My free spirit attitude of “whatever you think looks best” isn’t extremely helpful for a stylist because they are not mind readers which can put unreal expectations on your outcome. I asked my stylist Angela for helpful tips and I added a few of my own for when you visit the salon.
Here are some tips to get the most out of your next salon makeover
- Bring in pictures of what you like – Share what you like about the image of the hairstyle and what you don’t like. Be specific. Also keep in mind that the hairstyle you like, might not be the best style for your face shape.
- Share what you don’t like in a hairstyle– chances are that you have stronger opinions of what you don’t like vs. what you do like. Again, your stylist won’t know unless you tell them.
- Share about what you have loved about previous hairstyles or colors.
- Share about your hair quirks or parting preferences.
- Try something new– discover what is out of your comfort zone…that you are comfortable with. For example, I knew from a previous experience that my hair does NOT look good short so that was not something that I wanted to gamble. Blue nail polish on the other hand, was a color selection that was really bold for someone who never really liked colored nail polish. Ironically, now I LOVE blue nail polish! That was an easy fix. If I didn’t like it, it could be removed.
Green eyeshadow for my makeup. Why not?!!! I really enjoyed the results of someone who is gifted at makeup, trying something new.
- Communicate!!! Your stylist is not a Jedi mind reader. Let them know if you have any concerns along the way or if you are not satisfied with the end result. They will want you to be happy with your hair because you will be more likely to share your positive experience with others.
- Don’t forget to factor tipping into your budget! You also might want to swing by the ATM if you will be tipping multiple people.
A special thanks to Sharon our manicurist, Wendy our makeup artist, and Angela our stylist for making us feel special from the inside out.
Also, thanks again to SIA Spa and Salon for hosting our makeover adventure.
Are you ready for a makeover too?
1st time clients at SIA Spa receive 20% off of their services
You can find out more about SIA spa and their salon services from their website.
SIA Spa is located at 8127 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45236.