When I was younger I used to think that it was really morbid when my mom told me that she would go walking at cemeteries. Now that I am older, I have become more like my mother because I enjoy it too.
If you are like the younger version of myself and think it’s a little strange, I have a few reasons for you to think about why you should at least try walking in a cemetery once.
It’s peaceful and quiet….but also alive with a lot of animal activity.
Birds, squirrels, geese, and if you are lucky you might even see a swan. If you are even luckier, you might even see a swan pose with a turtle.
2. Nature is gorgeous!
You can’t go wrong when you choose to be outside surrounded by trees with the bonus of a few ponds or lakes.
3. You get to appreciate all of the seasons.
The physical seasons are a good reminder of seasons in our own lives as well.
4. The roads are paved which makes walking easy.
You might even burn a few extra calories on some of the hills.
5. Art IS everywhere AND everywhere IS art!
6. The architecture is really interesting.
7. It gives you perspective and also allows you opportunities to try taking pictures from different perspectives.
8. It makes you curious about the stories of the people whose lives are represented on the tombs you pass.
What was their life like between the dashes on their tombstone? How long did they live? Who are they surrounded by?
9. It helps you think about the legacy you want to leave.
When you are surrounded by the reminder of death, you think about how you would want people to remember you.
10. It helps you think about priorities.
Taking a walk in a cemetery is a great way to clear your mind and focus on what’s really important.
One of my favorite historic cemeteries to visit is Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum in Cincinnati that dates back over 150 years! Spring Grove Cemetery offers special tours and events throughout the year to the community. You can find out more information from their website.
Spring Grove is located at 4521 Spring Grove Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45232.