I have so many great memories from boating over the years. As a teenager we would spend summers on our family’s boat that included a few camping trips.
I remember fishing for the 1st time at Cave Run Lake with my grandfather. We caught so many fish that day! I would also bring friends along and we would be on the water all day tubing.
In high school, a trip to Grenada was made even better when a group of us took a ride on the banana boat float in the ocean.
Over the years our family owned a few different boats. One of my favorite boating trips as an adult with my family was when my parents brought the boat up to Northern Michigan, where we lived at the time. We went to a different lake everyday and took day trips on the “Chain of Lakes” that connected several lakes in several hours. It was such a great experience. Boating is so relaxing and gives you access to incredible scenery.
A few years later, my dad sold his boat when my mom’s health was declining. We were so sad to see it go. A few years after she passed away, we took a day trip back to Cave Run Lake where we used to go camping and boating as a family. We made a spontaneous decision to rent a boat that day. The experience was priceless! I wish my mom could have been there to experience it with her grandkids.
My boys gained confidence as they tried sliding and jumping off of the pontoon boat.
It was an all around great day! We were so glad that we invested the money in that memory.
We’ve joined our friends in Northern Michigan a few times over the years too. My son got so confident with his tubing skills that he added dance moves on the tube.
We also have great memories with our friends on their boat visiting Mackinac Island in Michigan.
Waking up in a marina with a cup of coffee is not a bad way to start your day.
Here are reasons for you to Discover Boating this summer
1. It’s Fun!
2. You make priceless memories.
3. You get another perspective of nature from the water.
4. It builds confidence. The water can be intimidating at first, but the more you are around it, the more confident you become.
5. It’s affordable. You can find a boat or rental for every budget.
About Discover Boating
“Discover Boating is the U.S. recreational boating industry’s nonprofit awareness program to help people get on the water to experience the fun of boating. For those looking to get their feet wet, DiscoverBoating.com is an unbiased online resource to explore the enjoyment and accessibility of the boating lifestyle.
Did you know?
• Boats are uniquely made in America: 94.9% of powerboats sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S.
• There were an estimated 12 million registered boats in the U.S. in 2014.
• 95% of boats on the water (powerboats, personal watercraft, and sailboats) in the U.S. are small in size at less than 26 feet—boats that can be trailered by a vehicle to local waterways.
• Boating is primarily a middle-class lifestyle as 71.5% of American boat owners have a household income less than $100,000.
So where do you begin?
Discover Boating has lots of tips for getting out on the water this summer!
DiscoverBoating.com has educational tools for boaters of all skill levels, from a boat selector tool matching readers with the right boat types to a Get on the Water tool helping them find exactly what they want to do on the water close to home (e.g. peer to peer rentals, PWC rentals, charters, etc.)
You can find out more from the Discover Boating website for how to plan your boating adventure.
What are your favorite boating memories?