I asked the stylists at SIA salon for their knowledge and helpful tips for using color on your hair.
Before Your Color Appointment
- Allow a minimum of 1.5 -2 hours for your appointment.
- If you don’t know what you want, schedule a consultation first with your stylist.
- Bring pictures and ideas of what you want to do. Consultations typically last around 30 minutes.
- Ask your stylist if your selection is a high maintenance color
- It’s important to know that fashion colors can fade within a week
- Keratin treatments over top of color can help seal in red colors longer
- Try not to go from rapid extremes in colors from dark to light.
- All over color takes a couple of hours
- If you are sensitive to color on your hair, it’s recommended not to wash your hair 24 hours before a visit.
The Color Lingo
- Partial highlight will keep more natural dimension
- Full highlight will alter color to be overall lighter in appearance
Balayage- highlighting technique where the dye is painted to create a more gradual, natural effect.
How do you know when it’s time to go back to the salon?
- Your ends are dull and flat and won’t style anymore.
- Your hair won’t lay totally flat.
- You don’t have as much volume.
- You have silver streaks (gray) showing.
- Try to wait 24 hours before washing.
- For vibrant colors, try to wait 48 hours before washing.
- Optimal maintenance is 4-6 weeks between visits.
- *You rarely need to color your ends for a retouch.
- Trim ends ideally every 8-10 weeks for optimal health.
- Shampoo is critical for color staying longer.
- Use Sulphate free shampoo with a low ph.
My stylist used two colors of highlights for my hair during my visit and I absolutely LOVED the results! It’s amazing what a difference it makes when you feel good about your hair. Thank you Angela!
You can find out more from the Sia Spa from their website.
Sia Spa is located at 8127 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati, OH.
Thanks again to Sia Spa and Medical Salon for providing my services. All opinions are my own.