There is a place in Northern Kentucky that is a favorite discount shopping destination of mine.
It is not for the faint of heart. In fact, my husband does not like going and it is a form of torture to bring my kids shopping there with me because this is not the type of store that you can shop quickly at.
That place is the Gap Clearance Center in Hebron, Kentucky…..and you can’t beat the deals!
The difference between the Gap Clearance store and a “Gap Outlet” that you see at the big outlet malls is that the Clearance center is kind of like the land of misfit clothes and accessories and anything in between.
I called to double-check if there were any other Gap clearance center stores in the US and found out that this is the only one in the world!
They carry clothes from Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Athletica, Ralph Lauren, shoes from Piperlime and several more higher-end brands at random.
Tips for visiting the Gap Clearance Center
- Many of the items at the Gap Clearance Center were either a return, damaged, overstock or clearance.
- Once you buy it- you can’t return it…so make sure that you love it or you are confident that you can fix it.
- Don’t shop hungry (you’ll give up sooner) and go to the bathroom when you first arrive so that you don’t have to hold your items up at the front.
- Grab a shopping cart at the front as soon as you walk in the door. You can also grab a bag but sometimes the bag is awkward to carry with the hangers inside.
- If you can put on garage sale mentality goggles, you can walk out the door with amazing deals and savings of hundreds of dollars. Try to keep perspective on the pricing and remember how much a generic shirt is at Target or Walmart for comparison.
- Check out the perimeters first. I like to start with the shoes toward the back left section of the store because those items are more limited.
- Athleta is near the front right side where you walk in. Kids clothes are on the right side toward the middle and in the back. Men’s clothes are on the left side of the store. Women’s Jeans and pants are toward the front of the store in front of the cashiers. Maternity clothes are near the kid section.
- Try on EVERYTHING! This includes trying on both shoes. Take it from the girl who bought a pair of boots with a busted zipper.
- There is NO LIMIT to what you can bring in your dressing room. You can drop off your items from your cart and then leave your cart outside the dressing area.
- DO NOT LEAVE WHAT YOU WANT TO KEEP IN THE CART OUTSIDE THE DRESSING ROOM! Your items could be put away or someone else might take them from your cart if it is left unattended.
- You don’t need to hang up what you are going to keep.
- Many items are irregular so you may be able to go up or down a size. You also need to check for holes, stains, and non-working zippers.
- Check sections that are not your size because sometimes items are put back in the wrong section or its irregular and larger or smaller than the label says.
- If one person in your family tends to take longer, who doesn’t like to feel rushed…and the rest of your family doesn’t …..but you still want the deals…drive separately if you are a local. Trust me from experience on this.
- Check the signs for additional sales and double-check the specific brands that are on sale on the signs. You can even call ahead and ask what the sales are that week.
- ALWAYS ask the cashier to tell you the price while they are ringing up your items.
It can feel overwhelming when you first go as you see what feels like miles of racks of clothing lined up, but I have always found great deals on just about everything, especially shoes.
There is ALOT to take in there.
You might even see some professional shoppers with multiple shopping carts who make a living off of what they resale online from their shopping trips there.
The jeans are typically $9.99 or less which you can’t beat, especially for the Banana Republic jeans. This is a great place to get maternity clothes too.
I have seen some of the exact same brands and styles that I bought there for $50-$70 more online.
I love when I find an item in perfect condition with the price tags still on that shows what a great deal I got.
If you like a store that is color-coordinated and merchandised with ease, keep on driving…. this is not the store for you.
The workers do there best to have everything placed by category and size but the sheer volume can make it difficult to keep up with if it’s super busy that day.
The emotions of people who have had a shopping experience at the Gap Clearance Center are either LOVE or HATE.
If you love the thrill of the hunt of thrift store shopping with all name brand clothes, this is the place where all of your mega discount dreams can come true.
The Gap Clearance Center is not far from the Cincinnati Airport (which is also located in Northern Kentucky.)
2050 Global Way, Hebron, KY 41048
Save this article for later. Pin the image below>>