When you’re planning a vacation during Spring Break there are a lot of factors to consider. I’m going to ask some of the tough questions that you need to think about to help you make the most out of your adventures…. and your budget.
I tend to be in a continual state of dreaming/researching/planning for my next trip. I shoulder the responsibility of the details of our vacations because I enjoy always having something to look forward to. I’ve learned a lot along the way and I’ve found that planning is easier when you answer as many questions as possible up front. I’m going to take you through the questions to ask yourself for your next big trip.
How many days do you want to be gone?
- Do you have any flexibility in your dates?
- Do you already have the time off or do you still need to request it?
- Do you have to work around any sports/previous engagements?
Where do you want to go?
- Do you want to go somewhere you have never been to?
- Do you tend to visit the same area?
- Is the destination a popular location during spring break?
- Is price a factor?
- Would you consider going to a destination that is off season during spring break?
- Is distance a factor?
- What type of weather/activities do you enjoy?
Who is going with you?
- Will you be inviting friends or family members to join you?
- Will you be responsible for planning their overall trip as well?
- Will they be staying with you?
- Will they be traveling with you?
- Do they have any special needs?
Are you considering a staycation?
- What activities are important to you for a staycation?
- Do you want to go on day trips?
- Will you be staying at home?
- Will you need overnight accommodations?
- Will you be planning any overnight mini trips?
- What type of accommodations are important to you?
- **hotel, cabin, suite, cruise ship (find great rates here)
- What amenities are important to you?
- **free breakfast, parking, pool, kitchenette
- Is it important for activities to be close to where you are staying?
- Do you want activities on-site?
- Will you be visiting family?
- Will you be renting from a friend?
- Will you be using Airbnb?
How will you get there?
Fly- Do you have any airline points accumulated?
- Do the flights go directly to the destination?
- Will you need airport transfers?
- Will you need to park your vehicle at the airport?
- Will you be renting a vehicle from the airport?
Drive- will you use your vehicle or rent one?
Do you need to break up the drive with an overnight to/from the destination?
Will you be using public transportation, cabs, Uber, or Lyft?
What’s your vacation style?
- Do you enjoy unplanned activities?
- Do you like to have an idea of what you are doing each day?
- Do you enjoy lots of activities during your vacation?
- Do you like to do activities that are special rare experiences? (If so, do you need a reservation prior to arrival)
- Do you enjoy the outdoors, museums, sporting events, the arts, etc?
- Will you be cooking a lot of your meals?
- Will you be dining out? (How often?)
- Do you have any special dining needs?
- *glutton free, vegan, special diet
- Will you be taking any food tours?
- What do you look for in a restaurant?
- **kid-friendly, fine dining, local cuisine, budget friendly
Have you researched for discounts?
- Credit card points/discounts
- Warehouse clubs
- Groupon, Social Living, Deal Chicken, Kayak, Priceline,Booking.com etc.
- Tips *housekeeping, transportation, guided activities and tours
- Luggage fees
- Items needed specifically for the trip
- **gear, special clothing, sunscreen, beach items
- Meals while traveling
- Travel Insurance if you are going out of the country or planning an expensive trip
- Parking fees/meters
- Spontaneous activities (ice cream, mini golf, movies)
- Forgotten items
Now that we have that out of the way, how about some ideas of where to go on Spring Break?
Check out the very best spring break ideas here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks again to Family Travel Consulting for sponsoring this post.
Pin this post for later>>