When you’re planning a vacation during Spring Break there are a lot of factors to consider.
I’m going to ask some of the tough questions that you need to think about to help you make the most out of your adventures…. and your budget.
I tend to be in a continual state of dreaming/researching/planning for my next trip. I shoulder the responsibility for the details of our vacations because I enjoy always having something to look forward to.
I’ve learned a lot along the way and I’ve found that planning is easier when you answer as many questions as possible upfront.
I’m going to take you through the questions to ask yourself for your next big trip. I’ve got a free printable Spring Break Vacation planner at the end of my article if you want to answer these questions on paper.
How many days do you want to be gone?
- Will you have any flexibility in your dates?
- Do you already have the time off or do you still need to request it?
- Do you have to work around any sports/previous engagements?
Where do you want to go?
- Do you want to go somewhere you have never been to?
- Do you tend to visit the same area?
- Will your visit include visiting family or friends?
- Is the destination a popular location during spring break?
- Do you want to visit more than one destination during the trip?
- Is price a factor?
- Do you have a specific budget?
- Would you consider going to a destination that is off-season during spring break?
- Is distance a factor?
- What type of weather/activities do you enjoy?
Who is going with you?
- Do you want to invite friends or family members to join you?
- Will you be responsible for planning their overall trip as well?
- Who will be staying with you?
- Will they be traveling with you?
- Do they have any special needs?
- Have you purchase travel insurance in case someone in your party becomes ill or you need to change lodging or flights?
Are you considering a staycation?
- What activities are important to you for a staycation?
- Do you want to go on day trips?
- Will you be staying at home?
- Do you need overnight accommodations?
- Will you be planning any overnight mini-trips?
Where will you stay?
- What type of accommodations are important to you?
- **hotel, cabin, suite, cruise ship, treehouse (find great rates here)
- What amenities are important to you? (**free breakfast, parking, pool, kitchenette)
- Is it important for activities to be close to where you are staying?
- Do you want activities available on-site?
- Do you plan on visiting family during your trip?
- Will you be renting from a friend?
- Will you be using Airbnb?
Compare Prices on Hotels and Airbnbs on the Grid Above
Select your city of choice and desired dates to see what’s available. You can compare the prices of both hotels and Airbnbs at the same time.
How will you get there?
Will You Fly There?
If yes, answer the following questions.
- Have you checked if you have any airline points accumulated?
- Will you be checking bags or bringing a carry on?
- Do the flights go directly to the destination?
- Will you need airport transfers?
- Will you need to park your vehicle at the airport?
- Do you need to rent a vehicle from the airport?
If You Drive to the Destination
- Will you use your vehicle or rent one?
- Do you need to break up the drive with an overnight to/from the destination?
- Will you be using public transportation, cabs, Uber, or Lyft?
What activities do you want to experience?
What’s your vacation style?
- Do you enjoy unplanned activities?
- Does your family like to have an idea of what you are doing each day?
- Do you enjoy lots of activities during your vacation?
- Are there rare/unique experiences that you want to try? (If so, do you need a reservation prior to arrival)
- Do you enjoy the outdoors, museums, sporting events, the arts, etc?
What is your plan for meals?
- Will you be cooking a lot of your meals?
- Will you be dining out? (How often?)
- Do you have any special dining needs? *glutton free, vegan, special diet
- Will you be taking any food tours?
- What do you look for in a restaurant? **kid-friendly, fine dining, local cuisine, budget-friendly
Have you researched for discounts?
- Credit card points/discounts
- Warehouse clubs
- Groupon, Social Living, Deal Chicken, Kayak, Priceline,Booking.com etc.
- Tips *housekeeping, transportation, guided activities, and tours
- Luggage fees
- Items needed specifically for the trip (gear, special clothing, sunscreen, beach items, snow gear)
- Meals while traveling
- Travel Insurance if you are going out of the country or planning an expensive trip
- Parking fees/meters
- Spontaneous activities (ice cream, mini-golf, movies)
- Forgotten items
Free Spring Break Vacation Planner Printable
Now that we have that out of the way, how about some ideas of where to go on Spring Break?
Check out the very best spring break ideas here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks again to My Family Travels for sponsoring this post.
Tips for planning a vacation to Clearwater Beach in Florida. Top things to do when you visit Clearwater Beach in Florida. Learn more about things to do at French Lick Spring Resort in Indiana. Top things for families to do in Cincinnati, Ohio. Things for families to do in Lake Charles, LA. Tips for using points to travel with a large family. Places to visit on a North Carolina Roadtrip. Tips for what to do when you visit Wilmington, NC. Hidden gems around Gatlinburg, TN. Top things for families to do during a weekend in the Smoky Mountains in TN.
Spring Break Vacation Ideas
How to Save Money on a Clearwater Beach Vacation
Things to Do in Clearwater Florida
Family Fun Things to Do at French Lick Springs Resort
Top Family Friendly Attractions in the Cincinnati Metro
Top Adventures for Family Friendly Fun in Lake Charles
How to Use Points to Discount Travel With a Larger Family
North Carolina Road Trip Destinations
What to Do When You Visit Wilmington for the First Time
Unique Adventures to try in the Smoky Mountains
Adventure Ideas for a Weekend in the Smoky Mountains
Tips for planning a vacation to Clearwater Beach in Florida.
Top things to do when you visit Clearwater Beach in Florida.
Learn more about things to do at French Lick Spring Resort in Indiana.
Top things for families to do in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Things for families to do in Lake Charles, LA.
Tips for using points to travel with a large family.
Places to visit on a North Carolina Roadtrip.
Tips for what to do when you visit Wilmington, NC.
Hidden gems around Gatlinburg, TN.
Top things for families to do during a weekend in the Smoky Mountains in TN.
1 thought on “Questions You need to Ask Before Planning a Spring Break Vacation”
It was a great read! My niece and nephew will be having a spring break soon, and I think they will be planning something during this time. I am sure this article will help them decide the best activities and places to visit. I will definitely share this article with them to help them decide better. Thanks a lot for sharing such an amazing article, it will be very helpful for many people who are planning their spring break.