Are you looking forward to a return visit to Kings Island Amusement Park?
I’m sharing more about the important safety procedures and changes that you need to be aware of before you go. These tips will help you make the most of your visit.
I’m a Kings Island Ambassador which means that I share my love for the park and enjoy perks and behind the scenes access. This article contains affiliate links.
Kings Island’s Coronavirus Re-Opening Processes
To say that 2020 has been an unusual and crazy year is an understatement!
Due to the pandemic, Kings Island had to push back the reopening date but now the park is ready for visitors who are excited about returning.
Yes, it’s a different experience than you have experienced in years past. These are definitely unprecedented times, but the safety precautions that the park has in place allow guests to return this year.
Kings Island is dedicated to helping guests feel and be safe during a visit with enhanced procedures to help reduce the spread of germs.
The amusement park has put stringent health, safety, and hygiene protocols in place to allow a safe opening that aligns with CDC recommendations and has been shaped by information from company and industry health and safety experts.
Kings Island Opening Dates
Kings Island Park guests MUST have a reservation before they arrive. If you don’t have a reservation you can’t get in.
- Park Open to Season Passholders: July 2 – 11
- Park Open to Season Passholders and Daily Ticketholders: Beginning Sunday, July 12
Kings Island is currently open from 11 AM -7 PM (*July 4th, 11AM-10PM)
August operations schedule varies – check the website for more details.
Plan Ahead Before Your Visit to Kings Island
In order to visit Kings Island you will need to:
- Complete the pre-entry health assessment
- Bring your Season Pass, mobile or printed tickets.
- Have a face covering for each guest two years and older.
- Bring a mobile phone with the Kings Island app downloaded and “Location Services” enabled. At least one person in your group must have this, but they recommend as many guests as possible have the app downloaded to their mobile device.
- Have a contactless payment method (other than cash) such as credit card, Apple Pay, and Android Pay.
Complete the pre-entry health assessment
- Within 24 hours of your visit, open the Kings Island mobile app, and complete the Health Assessment Questionnaire. Only one questionnaire is required per group. Your responses will be cleared each night, so this must be completed each time you come to the park.
- If your group does not pass the health assessment, they will ask you to reschedule your visit to a different date and time.
New Season Pass Holders will need to process their passes online
As a new pass holder without a Season Pass card, you will need to process your Season Pass. To make this easier and contact-free, you can now handle this online.
Simply create or login to your Kings Island website account, click “Manage Passes”, click “ADD MY PASS” and enter the Ticket ID you received when you purchased online along with any other outstanding profile information.
Once you’ve completed adding your pass, you can add your pass to the mobile app.
Is this a good time to purchase a Kings Island Season Pass?
YES! If you purchase a season pass now it will also be good for the 2020 AND 2021 season.
That also includes add ons like the all-season dining plan,all-season drink refills, and FunPix photo passes.
This is a great deal and value because you have almost two seasons for the price of one!
What restaurants and menu options are on the All Season Dining Plan?
Save the photo above as an easy reference for the restaurants and dining options on the All Season Dining Plan.
What to expect when you arrive at Kings Island
When you arrive at the Kings Island parking tollbooth, they will ask you for proof of parking payment. If you do not have a parking voucher, you may pay with a cashless payment method such as a credit card.
The tollbooth attendant will also confirm that your group has a reservation for that day. After you park and exit your vehicle, you will need to put on your face covering and keep it on while at the park.
Additional Safety Precautions at Kings Island Before You Enter the Park
For everyone’s safety, all associates working in the park must complete a health assessment and temperature check each day before reporting to work as well.
In order to be admitted into Kings Island guest must:
- Complete a Yes/No health questionnaire
- Pass a temperature check with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or lower before entering the park
- Wear a face covering
Line up at the screening tent at your designated time
Reservations for the park are for a specific designated time.
Can I arrive at Kings Island earlier than my designated time?
They encourage you to arrive at the time of your reservation and not prior to it.
If you arrive prior to your reservation time, you may be asked to wait in your car to help maintain social distancing in the park entry plaza area.
What happens if I arrive at Kings Island after my designated time?
They encourage you to arrive at the time of your reservation to help control entry flow and maintain social distancing while entering the park. If you do arrive later you will be allowed to enter after your reservation time.
I would encourage you to arrive at your time so that you don’t create a bigger line for those who arrived when they were supposed to.
There are social distance markers on the ground throughout the park starting with the line outside the health screening tent.
Next, you’ll pass through a thermal screening tent where your temperature will be read. If anyone in your party has a temperature of 100.4°F / 38°C or higher, you will be directed to return home and reschedule your visit.
The thermal screening tent moves pretty quickly once you are inside the tent.
If you exit and reenter the park on the same day you will need to go back through the thermal screening tent again.
Where do you go after passing through the Thermal Tent?
Before entering the park, bags will still need to be checked. Next, you go through the touchless turnstiles, scan your Season Pass or Daily Ticket inside the Kings Island mobile app.
There are social distance markers to guide you as you go in.
*Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking area, located outside the main gate.
What types of masks can I wear to Kings Island?
Guests are required to wear a face-covering that covers your nose and mouth. It comes down to your preference for a traditional mask or face gaiter, etc. If you have more than one type you might want to experiment during your visit and bring both.
I tried a regular black cloth face mask first and then switched to the type that can go around my neck. My particular cloth face mask got too warm which is why I opted to bring another option.
My face covering was actually a bandana headband flipped around so that it stays more secure on my ears. Remember that’s it’s very important to take breaks and stay hydrated!
Guests 2 years old and up are required to wear a face mask during their visit.
If you don’t feel confident that your child will realistically be able to keep a face mask on during their visit, I would recommend not bringing them to the park at this time.
If you are a season pass holder, you could try a shorter visit to the park with your child later in the day when the temperatures are cooler. Make sure that you also visit the RelaxZones.
What happens if you lose a face covering on a ride or at the park?
Face coverings are available for purchase at the gift shops.
Take a picture of the Kings Island Park Map when you arrive
Park maps will not be available this year to help reduce contact. You can take a picture of the map on your phone or use the mobile app instead.
The free Kings Island mobile app will be your best resource to use to make the most out of your park experience.
How is social distancing for waiting in lines & on rides being handled?
There are social distancing markers located throughout the park at Kings Island. Social distancing markers are on the ground for guests to keep their distance from other guests.
You can stay with your group on the marker. The number of people on the ride depends on how many are in your group and how many seats are on the ride, etc. Rides are typically at 50% or every other row.
In order to help keep everyone safe during their visit, personal responsibility is EVERYTHING.
Each guest needs to be mindful of making sure that they are doing their part and intentionally social distancing from other guests during their visit.
There are no reservations required for the rides. You will just stand in line at the social distancing markers.
The rides in the park are being wiped down and cleaned every 30 minutes.
- The Kings Island mobile app will serve as your up-to-date list of available attractions.
- Some seats and rows will be unavailable to accommodate social distancing.
- Seats, restraints, headrests, and armrests will be sanitized frequently.
Hand Sanitizer Stations
There are 600+ hand sanitizer stations located throughout the park both inside and out. Guests are encouraged to use them often throughout their visit to the park.
Do you have to wear a mask everywhere inside the park?
There are designated areas in the park called RelaxZones where you can remove your mask.
Where are the RelaxZones?
RelaxZone Locations are:
- Backlot Stunt Coaster Plaza
- PEANUTS Showplace (Planet Snoopy Area)
- Tower Gardens (near the Eiffel Tower)
Is there still social distancing inside the RelaxZone?
Yes. In the RelaxZone, you can remove your face covering. You will still need to keep a 6 ft distance between your party and other guests.
These areas are also no smoking. The only designated smoking area is located outside of the entrance of the park.
Do any rides at Kings Island not require a face mask?
The only rides that do not require masks while on the ride are the following water rides:
- Congo Falls
- White Water Canyon
- Race For Your Life Charlie Brown
I would suggest bringing a Ziploc bag to put your mask in to keep it dry during your ride.
Is the waterpark open at Kings Island?
No, the park currently does not have a reopening date for the waterpark.
Are masks required everywhere in the park or just in lines, smaller areas, etc.?
Face coverings are required for guests to wear throughout the park with the exception of the RelaxZones and while eating or drinking.
You will need to wear your face covering while waiting in line for your food.
Will all of the restaurants in the park be open at Kings Island?
Yes, the restaurants within the park will all be open for guests.
Additional Safety Precautions for Dining at Kings Island
- Some tables have been removed for social distancing.
- Distancing is marked on the floor for wait lines.
- All disposable products, including pre-wrapped utensils.
- Plastic barriers between guests and associates.
- Contactless payments, including credit cards, Apple Pay, and Android Pay are encouraged.
Is indoor dining still available at Kings Island?
Yes, but there are fewer tables to allow for social distancing.
How will the All Season Drink Refill Program work this year?
Guests with the All Season Drink refill program will be given a new paper cup (one time use only) to fill up for their beverage of choice. Next, the guest can transfer the drink into their souvenir cup.
Will courtesy cups of water still be offered?
Yes, you can still get courtesy cups of water where drinks are available.
Safety Precautions for Shops, Merchandise, Games and Entertainment
- Social distancing must be maintained at all of the retail and game locations.
- Guests still need to continue wearing their face-covering in these locations.
- Contactless payment is encouraged where possible.
- At this time, there will be no indoor shows.
Experience Orion, the Seventh Giga Coaster in the World
Where is the best place to ride Orion?
It honestly comes down to preference. I’ve ridden on the front, middle and back car of Orion. The front has an awesome unobstructed view. The back car on the right side allows you to feel more of the speed and the drop.
My sunglasses and mask stayed on throughout the ride. My mask only moved slightly while riding in the back row.
Orion is really FAST and really SMOOTH!
Five Things to Know About Orion
- Orion is the tallest (287 feet) and fastest (91 mph) roller coaster with the longest first drop (300 feet) at Kings Island. At 5,321 feet, it is the park’s longest steel roller coaster and second-longest overall behind The Beast (7,359 feet).
- Orion is the seventh Giga coaster in the world, the fourth in the USA and fifth in North America. A Giga coaster is one with a height or drop between 300-399 feet.
- The first drop on Orion will take riders down the length of a football field. At 300 feet, it ties for the seventh-longest drop on a roller coaster in the world.
- At 91 mph, Orion is the seventh-fastest roller coaster in North America and 13th fastest in the world.
- Orion is the third roller coaster at Kings Island designed by Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), joining Diamondback (2009) and Banshee (2014). Seven of the top 20 ranked steel roller coasters in a 2018 poll conducted by Amusement Today were designed by B&M, the most by a ride manufacturer on the list.
Locker Rentals at Orion
If you have a bag and want to ride Orion, you will need to purchase a locker rental located near the ride entrance. There are no storage bins available for guests for bags before you ride Orion
How to keep your valuables secure on rides
If you don’t want to risk your phone or keys falling out of your pocket during a ride, consider wearing a thin running belt under your shirt.
Running belts are thinner than fanny packs which make them easier to wear on rides without interfering with ride harnesses and straps.
Many rides do not have storage bins for your bags while you ride or you may need to purchase a locker rental. It’s best to try to limit what you bring into the park if you don’t want to be stuck carrying a bag.
When should you visit Kings Island?
That’s an answer you will have to determine for your family. There are safety procedures in place throughout the part and it comes down to what you are comfortable with.
Personally, I would wait for cooler temperatures before bringing young kids with the required masks.
If the temperature is forecasted to be really hot during your visit, you will definitely want to take that into consideration with the ages of your family members.
Kings Island Ticket Admission Giveaway
I’m giving away 4 Admissions to Kings Island + 4 one time/one ride passes
(If you already have season passes you could give them away or use them for bringing friends)
Save this article for later. Pin the image below>>